Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Great Big Hug from a Thankful Citizen

"Great Big Hug from a Thankful Citizen"

Calling all who knit, crochet, work with fleece or can help by donating yarn and other materials.....


Recently, my son who serves in the Army and is stationed in Germany was home and I made him a scarf. A simple thing I thought. He was so grateful because he and his fellow soldiers do a lot of walking between the 8 bases in the area on their time off (only one base has the PX and other amenities). During the winter months, they can get quite cold as they have to wear civilian clothes so they fit in with their surroundings. I also found out that due to their mission, not many of the 60 or so soldiers are granted leave for Christmas, nor can most afford the airfare to come home. I wished I could give everyone in his unit a scarf if he was that thankful. This started me thinking that if I could get friends, family, and others to help we could put a scarf in all of their hands for next Christmas! Think of it as a "Great Big Hug from a Thankful Citizen".

My goal is to collect at least 200 scarves for my son's unit and for the soldiers recovering in the Army hospital in Germany by September 1, 2007.

So, if you or someone you know are interested in helping me with this project for our troops, please let me know, either by email at bjhfam@aol.com or by phone at 480-467-7002.


Thank you,
Judy Housley


ITEMS NEEDED

Skeins of yarn
Yards of solid color fleece
Pre-made scarves

6 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Dana said...

Hello Judy,
My groups will gladly help with your scarf needs for your son and his unit...and others.

Sincerely,
Dana Jonsgaard
Love's Many Cloths, Founder 2005
www.lovesmanycloths.com
groups.yahoo.com/group/loves4troopsplus

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Joyce said...

Do you have a certain pattern, size, yarn type to use - I don't
usually do scarves but would consider doing this.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Bev said...

Judy!
What a wonderful idea!!! I would love to help you by knittin/crocheting some scarves for our guys and gals so far from home. I'm Beverly - GA from Loves Many Cloths. What color/length/pattern do you need for us to use?
(((HUGS))) Beverly

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger SimplyMe said...

I don't know if I have the time to help or not, but I'd like to know how long, how wide, what style, what color?? If I can find the time to get it to you by Sept. 1, I'd love to do one!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Judy Housley said...

There is no particular size or pattern. If it looks like a scarf, it is a scarf.

Please just not too patriotic. The soldiers need not to stand out as being American.

We are just thankful to have all of you join our project. Bless you all.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Hello!
I am priority mailing 2 scarves to you today. I hope it's not too late.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter