Thursday, April 28, 2005

Felting in a front load washing machine

Felting requires soap, hot water, and agitation. A normal, top loading washing machine gives you all three requirements, but a front loader lacks the agitation. I've been experimenting with my Maytag Neptune washer, which is a front loader, to see what works best.

Last night I knit up a small purse using Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky. This yarn is 15% Mohair, but I thought I would give it a try. After the first wash, the yarn did kind of matt together, but nothing like what I was hoping for. I used the hot/cold cycle and put the purse inside a lingerie bag. I also added a pair of jeans and just a bit of detergent. So I washed it again. And again. And again. Four complete washings later, I still am not happy with the resuts. Back to the drawing board!

Corinne

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Elisa said...

i'm very interested in your felting as my next washer could possibly be a front loader. i've actually heard of some people putting balls in the washer with it. i'd assume tennis balls, since that's what i use in the dryer to fluff up my duvet.

i'd also suggest some Cascade 220 if you want to experiment further. for me it almost always takes only one wash cycle. sometimes i put it through another half of the agitation cycle if i feel the piece is too big. but with Brown Sheep yarns i find i nearly always have to use 2 full agitation cycles.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This site: http://www.woolcrafting.com/felting-in-a-front-load-washing-machine.html
has a great article on felting. Soap is not actually required, but a lot of people do use it. Tennis balls or even shoes are helpful with the agitation issue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter