Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Where vegetables come from

This is surely not meant to be a gardening blog, but since I seem to be spending so much time at my garden plot lately my thoughts are bound to end up here. All of the vegetables are taking off. I do feel a special affinity for the plants that were started from seeds. While I am grateful for the seedlings, there is something extremely satisfying about watching a plant grow from such small seed.

I am happy to report that I did get to harvest some spinach last week. It was time to thin the plants and as I prepared to throw away the basket of discards I realized I was looking at a baby spinach salad. And it was so crisp and delicious. Mmmm...

After thinning the spinach and pulling out some damaged lettuce last week, I was amazed at how much the plants leftover grew. I guess they just needed a little breathing room. The radishes are about ready to be harvested, perhaps they will be ready by the weekend.

Now if I could just eliminate weeds! I was so surprised at how much the weeds had taken over in the four days I was away from the garden over the weekend. What good exercise it was to remove them all, though.

I did have some knitting related thoughts at the garden today. I was using some twine to make fences for the peas and began to ponder what knitting with twine would be like. I recall seeing a rug knit from twine somewhere. So many possibilities...

Corinne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter