Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Off to the races

Several of The Daily Knitter editors made a trip to Arlington Park racetrack this weekend. What a treat to watch the horses and do some people watching! Thankfully we arrived just after a rainstorm passed through. We saw amazing lightning from the Metra train on the way, but I did have to listen to several passengers argue over whether a train was a safe place during a tornado. I assume a tornado could take a train off the tracks, anyone know for sure?

Speaking of trains, what a super way to arrive at the track. Only 35 minutes from the city on the Metra Northwest line and you are right outside the gate.

I discovered Arlington Park is a great way to spend the day even if you are not a gambler. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and you can get much closer to the horses than I would have imagined. There are covered and open air spaces to watch the races; many ladies were working on their tans. We also saw plenty of families who had brought picnic baskets to enjoy on the lawn area.

On a knitting related note, I did mention the outing to my mother today and she reminded me of our family trips to a different racetrack when I was a kid. She reminded me that my sister and I would sit with her and watch the horses leave and enter the track, while my father was upstairs betting. And what did she do to keep busy, since she is not a gambler? Knit, of course!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter