Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Name That Herb

Recognize the herb pictured below? I wouldn't have been able to identify it prior to this afternoon. It's fennel, which belongs to the Umbellifereae family and is closely related to parsley, carrots, dill and coriander. It is also an excellent source of vitamin C.

The entire fennel plant is edible, but the seeds are what is typically found in your spice rack. According to McCormick's website, fennel seeds are an important ingredient in seasoning blends of the Mediterranean, Italy, China, and Scandinavia. Fennel seeds may be roasted prior to incorporation into seasoning blends to intensify their flavor. Fennel is used in curry blends, Chinese five spice, mirepoix, and herbes de Provence. Fennel is also used to flavor fish, sausages, baked goods, and liquors.

A fellow gardener passed these plants on to me and suggested I use the bulb sliced in a salad. I'll give it a try and report back tomorrow.

Corinne


1 Comments:

At 6:32 AM, Blogger Pirate Alice said...

I love fennel, tastes kinda like licorice. I usually eat the bulb part as a snack, just peel and eat. People at work think I'm eating an onion. mmmmm....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter